20091007

Down on Memory Lane

This was just last Monday night.

I knew at the back of my mind, when I would make that turn on that street, I would be passing that walkway again - that walkway that I used to pass by almost every day or every night after work. That is the walkway that reminds me of some of my moments with her.
Memory lane. That's what I call it.
It has been two years already since I last went through that part of town when I was still walking through there in a regular basis. That place was just in the same district as where I used to work. But in the circumstances given, I was walking through that place again.

Waiting restlessly for the stoplight to go red for the cars, I was already looking at the sidewalk lit by a couple of yellow lamp posts, the same sidewalk that we both used to walk by shoulder to shoulder a few times. Then I found myself crossing the street, partly oblivious of the halted vehicles a few feet away from me, just staring blankly at the lit sidewalk in front of me. Carrying my bag with my shoulders, I tried lifting them up for me to gain some speed.

Just beside that convenience store, I stood in front of the glass door of the place where we used to stay some years ago. I could see the brief passage up to and a part of the lobby from where I was standing. At that same spot, at one time, this is were we dropped from a cab after her suffering a severe tummy
and head ache after eating some food she had not eaten before then, got in the lobby to wait for an elevator,
and sort of stopped by a male receptionist, looking at us as if we were some "hot" couple sticking close to each other. But we got through.

I crossed the street abit away from the place to get to the raised walkway for me to better see the whole thing. I was standing there, resting my arms on the steel ledge, looking at the third floor of the building. It is a parking area. From where I stood, I could actually see most of that area. I was looking at the spot where our car was parked and the elevator doors, and imagining I myself was fixing some stuff while she was standing in front of the elevator waiting for me instead of going ahead with the others. We rode that elevator together, and she said something like "not happy".

From the third floor I counted the windows up to the tenth floor. Looking up high, I saw the window of the room where we used to stay. The room was lit - there was at least a single person in that same room where we had a handful of memories. Those card games... the time I helped her out list the cities she had visited so far... that sneaky morning that I took her picture while she was sleeping... that embarassing night that I munched the "rest" of the food we bought... and that very tough night that I cried outside the room...
So many memories in that place that I have been keeping in my heart, that it made me want to look up the building - the top of the building. But unfortunately, the roof of the walkway where I was standing got in to the way. So I'll just save those memories if EVER I make my way looking or being on that rooftop for another entry. :)
I left the place still wet with the sweat from all the walking I did that night, but all that reminiscing put a smile on my face and made my heart weigh lighter.

4 comments:

  1. memories are alwiz be remembered no matter how it has been pass..... its a lil tat v can to cheerish the momories wit tat some1.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. very true ti@ :) no matter what happens, these memories will stay in my heart forever. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, some tend to want to forget memories due to bitter breakups or whatnot, memories are something that should be stored in the corner of our hearts sad or happy. Moments to remember..

    It's weird how I tend to smile or laugh when there's tears involved and feel sad when I reminisce of the times that was filled with happiness and laughter. Hopefully something I can experience again.

    Lovely post, as per usual (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anonymous: yea, absolutely something that we all want to experience again and again :)

    reminiscing is one of the best God given gifts to us. and it's usually harmless! :)

    thanks again for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete